Puglia Gift Basket
Our Regional-Inspired Gift Baskets Include ALL of the Following:
- QTY 1 Colored Print of the Specific Region’s Crest or Flag
- QTY 2 One (1) LB Bags of All Natural Pasta
- QTY 2 Gourmet Seasoning or Spice Mix
- QTY 2 Regional Hard Candy or Sweet
- QTY 2 Candles or Regional Ornaments
- QTY 1 Glass Bottle of High Quality Olive Oil
- QTY 1 Re-Usable Wood Basket
Puglia is a massive food producer: major production includes wheat, tomatoes, zucchini, broccoli, bell peppers, potatoes, spinach, eggplants, cauliflower, fennel, endive, chickpeas, lentils, beans and cheese (like the traditional caciocavallo cheese). Puglia is also the largest producer of olive oil in Italy. The sea offers abundant fish and seafood that are extensively used in the regional cuisine, especially oysters, and mussels.
Goat and lamb are occasionally used.The region is known for pasta made from durum wheat and traditional pasta dishes featuring orecchiette-type pasta, often served with tomato sauce, potatoes, mussels or cime di rapa. Pasta with cherry tomatoes and arugula is also popular.
Regional desserts include zeppola, doughnuts usually topped with powdered sugar and filled with custard, jelly, cannoli-style pastry cream or a butter-and-honey mixture. For Christmas, Pugliesi make a very traditional rose shape pastry called Cartellate. These are fried and dipped in Vin Cotto which is a reduction of wine or in some cases of fig juice.